safety protocols • 2021-2022
For Parents and Students, Grades K4-8
The physical and social-emotional safety of our students and staff is a top priority. ICS will follow guidance from the Center for Disease Control (CDC), Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS), the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI), the Franklin Health Department and Milwaukee Public Health officials, as we plan for a safe return to school for the 2021-2022 school year. Given the challenges and uncertainty that COVID-19 presents, we will do our best to ensure the safety and health of our students and staff. To that end, we developed these guidelines for parents and students to follow. As we move forward, we will be sure to communicate any changes made with regard to safety protocols and encourage you to reach out if you have any concerns at any point during the school year.
Effective August 16, 2021, Indian Community School COVID-19 protocols are as follows:
- Parents/guardians of ICS students are asked to monitor their children for signs of illness, including checking their temperature twice daily at home if they have the means to do so. If a student experiences COVID-19 symptoms, parents/guardians are urged to contact their medical provider for further guidance and to notify our school at (414) 525-6103.
- Students are required to wear a face mask while riding the bus and to sit in assigned seating.
- Upon entering the school, every person is required to wear a face mask. The school will supply face masks if needed. Masking outdoors will be optional.
- No visitors, including family members, will be allowed inside the school building unless requested in advance.
- ICS will continue to implement social distancing, maximize ventilation, handwashing and respiratory etiquette, use of hand sanitizer and contact tracing in combination with quarantine and isolation. We also continue with cleaning and disinfection protocols.
- ICS will continue its practice of grade cohorts (groups of students that stay together throughout each school day).
- School events and activities where ICS families or the community will be present will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and will require Board approval.
- The COVID-19 Dashboard will continue to be maintained on weekdays and will be used as a mechanism to help guide our decision-making as we move forward.
- ICS will continue to re-evaluate the current state of the pandemic and will adjust COVID-19 protocols as warranted.
Teaching and learning spaces and common areas are reconfigured to allow for the best social distancing practices. We will maintain social distancing practices in high traffic areas to the best of our abilities by rerouting traffic flow, providing signage and verbal reminders. Restroom use will be monitored. Recesses will be staggered to keep students in grade cohorts (small groups of students that stay together throughout each school day). Activities will be planned for safe play. Locker use/student storage will be minimized to limit congestion in hallways.
- Water fountains are turned off so students will need to use their own personal water bottle from home. Water bottles can be refilled as needed during the school day.
- Frequent handwashing and hand sanitizing are mandatory for all students and staff.
- Students will stay with their assigned cohort group throughout the school day to limit the amount of exposure to other children and adults.
- Rotating classroom cohort groups of students into a variety of areas to limit exposure between students.
- Enhanced cleaning procedures are implemented per CDC guidelines including:
- Disinfection of student materials after their use and deep cleaning and disinfection at the end of each school day. Buildings will be cleaned and disinfected daily, with deep cleaning and sanitization scheduled in the evenings and over the weekends. For more information, please see our Cleaning & HVAC guidelines.
- Teachers and staff will be provided supplies to monitor the cleanliness of spaces.
- Classroom supplies and equipment will be cleaned between each cohort class.
- Learning materials will be regularly cleaned and disinfected.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be available in each classroom and in common area spaces.
- Time will be built into schedules for frequent handwashing.
- Students will be given their own materials to use to avoid sharing items.
- Community school supplies will not be shared in classrooms. Students will use only their own personal school supplies throughout the school day.
- Student areas, including bathrooms and play equipment, will be cleaned and disinfected frequently.
- High contact areas such as door handles, desks, tables, etc., will be frequently cleaned and disinfected.
Bus / Transportation Safety
Transportation will be provided for ICS students by First Student buses who will clean and disinfect the bus twice each day following bus runs. To further ensure the health and safety of our student passengers, we are also requiring the following:
- Bus drivers and students are required to wear a face mask at all times. Face masks will be provided if students do not have one of their own. Students must wear their face mask correctly (covering both nose and mouth) prior to boarding the bus and while riding as a passenger.
- Students will be assigned seats to provide appropriate social distancing. Students must remain in their assigned seats for the duration of their ride and follow seat assignments for the remainder of the school year. No more than one student is seated per seat, unless they are from the same household (siblings will be assigned to sit together).
- Hand sanitizer will be provided on each bus.
- Windows will be opened whenever possible to improve air circulation and ventilation.
- Food may not be eaten while riding the bus.
- Students that do not follow these rules will lose their riding privileges and will have to find alternative transportation.