UNDERSTANDING COPYRIGHT LAWS
All written work, audio, music, pictures, dance, chorography, architecture, and plays are copyright protected.
If you write it or create it, it is protected under copyright law.
Fair Use Laws allow for teachers and students to you a certain amount of work for teaching & school projects.
- Written work (including info. from the Internet) – 10% or 1000 words whichever is less.
- Movies or Videos – 10% or 3 minutes whichever is less.
- Music – 10% or 30 seconds whichever is less. You CAN NOT use an entire song even if you own it.
- Pictures – 5 pictures from an artist or photographer. Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc., Images are NOT a photographer or artist these are search engines. There are some copyright free images in Google Chrome but you have to do a specific search for them. Stay with Clip Art or Wikimedia Commons.
When using a material under Fair Use Laws you must cite your source using a citation maker. You CAN NOT just copy a URL address.
Public Domain are things that you can use:
- Expired Copyright Material
- Anything Created by the Government